I wear many hats when it comes to my kids' school.
The most important hat I wear is that of a parent. I am involved in their education and talk to the teachers daily about what is happening in the classroom, how they are behaving, things they accomplished and things they need to work on.
Another hat I wear is that of an employee. I work in the Learning Center as an aide. I teach a reading group to four great kids. One eighth grader, a seventh grader, and 2 third graders. We have a good time together and the kids are really doing good! I hope that I am making a difference in their lives, and that they keep up with reading over the summer. I also help with a math class. I go into the classroom and help with 3 kids (one is Anna--I asked for her to be in the class so she could do first grade math). The kids just need a little more encouragement to stay on task and get their work done. The rest of the time I am there I am available to help in classrooms, tutor kids who need it and help with behaviors. It's a really good job. I like being where my kids are. I like the people I work with too, I've made some really great friends.
The third hat I wear is that of PTO (parent teacher organization) president. I didn't know I would be working when I decided to serve in the PTO. I think I probably would have done a better job in the PTO had I not worked too. But I feel like I have done a pretty good job. Our school is only in its second year, and the first year PTO kind of dissolved in the first few months of school. So essentially I was starting new. Probably not the best idea to have a person with no experience in a parent organization be in charge. I faked my way through though and did the best I could.
This last week was Teacher Appreciation Week. We had food and treats and flowers everyday! Kim, who is another wonderful employee of the school was my partner in crime, along with the rest of the PTO presidency and several parent volunteers were able to honor the teachers and staff all week long. Cindy, the PTO secretary decorated each classroom door and gave treats and gifts to the teachers everyday.
Here is a breakdown of happenings. It was pretty fun with a "Cinco de Mayo" lunch and cards on Monday, flowers from the kids and cookies and milk on Tuesday, more flowers from the students on Wednesday and a great sandwich and and salad lunch, Thursday we had pie, and Friday we had a catered luncheon by Olive Garden and lots of fun gifts. It all turned out really nice. I was a little frazzled by the luncheon, but it all worked out wonderfully. The staff even had a really nice thank you gift for me! They gave me a huge gift basket filled with scrapbooking supplies! It made me feel really good.
I will be glad and sad when school is out for the summer. I will only have my mom hat (which will never ever leave my head). The employee hat gets a summer vacation and the PTO president hat will be passed on to someone else. I will always be a member of the PTO, but am happy to let someone else have a turn as the President.
A change in the weather
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment