Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mommy guilt

I am not usually one to have tons of guilt. I mean, I do my best and I worry that I could do better and stuff, but I don't beat myself up a lot over little things. But this morning, I felt a little of the classic "mommy guilt".

I need to back up a bit to explain what happened. Last night, Chris and I needed to work together on the school yearbook video. He did not need my computer savvyness (that I have none of ), but just knowledge of the classes (which I have tons of). Chris only had a small window of time to get it done, and that window was opened just after we put the kids to sleep. I put Anna to bed and apologized and told her that we would not be able to read that night. We are working our way through the Little House on the Prairie series and just started the fourth book, "On the Banks of Plum Creek". We hugged and kissed etc., and then I turned off the light and worked with Chris.

Fast forward to this morning.....
I went to wake Anna up for school and saw a little note she had written on her whiteboard.
This isn't the best picture, so I will describe it. Now realize that she is not a reader yet, so her knowledge of spelling is very limited. The note started with a frowning face :( and the words "no book". That is all. GUILT!!!


It's just the saddest thing ever.

So tonight we read extra and all is well. I forget how important it makes her feel when I take the time to be with just her and do our reading. I know I look forward to it too.

Oh and Laura and Mary had lots of fun playing with the bugs in the creek.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that would make me feel super quilty. The other night when I didn't read to Kaylee she started to whine and cry. I think she would have gotten to me A LOT more if it was something like that. Instead I just sent her back to bed.

Tanya said...

OHHHH! It makes you realize how much they treasure our time. You are still a really good Mom.