Friday, November 4, 2011

Bittersweet

So it looks like it's official!  Eli is no longer breast feeding.  I am so glad to have my body back, but so sad that I won't ever nurse another baby.


I found this poem when Anna was a baby.  I thought of it often in these last few days of nursing.


I know I look so big to you, 

Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have. 

But no matter how big we get, 

We still have needs that are important to us. 

I know that our relationship is growing and changing, 

But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness, 

Especially at the end of the day 

When we snuggle up in bed. 

Please don't get too busy for us to nurse. 

I know you think I can be patient, 

Or find something to take the place of a nursing; 

A book, a glass of something, 

But nothing can take your place when I need you. 

Sometimes just cuddling with you, 

Having you near me is enough. 

I guess I am growing and becoming independent, 

But please be there. 

This bond we have is so strong and so important to me, 

Please don't break it abruptly. 

Wean me gently, 

Because I am your mother, 

And my heart is tender. 



It still brings a tear to my eye,  I hate that my baby is growing up so fast.  Yet, I love how smart and independent he is getting.  Wean me gently baby, wean me gently!


My heart is tender.....

No comments: